How are payments made under a support order?

The defendant / obligor (parent ordered to pay support) should make the first support payment at the initial support conference. This payment can be in any amount, please discuss this with the conference officer. At the initial support conference, DRS employees will accept cash payments, money orders, or personal checks.

After the support order is established, an income withholding order will be issued to the defendant’s / obligor’s employer to deduct the support from wages or other forms of income. It usually takes several weeks for this to go into effect. At the conference, the conference officer will give you temporary payment coupons and payment instructions on how to make ongoing support payments to the Pennsylvania Support Collection and Disbursement Unit (PA SCDU) until the support is deducted from your paycheck.

PA SCDU accepts personal checks, money orders, or cashier checks by mail. Please refer to the Income Attachment Notice for more information regarding income withholding orders.

If you are self-employed, you will continue to make your monthly support payments to PA SCDU and will receive monthly coupons from them to send with your payment. If you have a checking or savings account and would like to establish a regular, recurring withdrawal from that account to pay your support payment, you would need to establish an account with ExpertPay. There is no charge for payments sent to the Pennsylvania State Collection and Disbursement Unit (PA-SCDU). Once the account is established, please allow seven (7) days for the payment to be received by the PA-SCDU.'

Any defendant / obligor can make payments using a credit card (MC, Visa, Discover) by calling PA SCDU at 800-955-2305. You may also make payments online at Please note that a convenience fee is charged for all credit card payments.

Credit card payments can also be made at A convenience fee is charged depending on the amount of payment. Cash payments can be made at MoneyGram kiosks located at select CVS, ACME, Walmart and Wegmans. A processing fee of $3.99 is charged. Payments are to be made to PA SCDU (code #14677).

You may visit your banking institution to establish electronic bill pay by presenting your 10 digit member identification number and providing your banking institution with the SCDU address: PA SCDU, PO Box 69110, Harrisburg, PA 17106.

Support payments made by check or money order must be made payable to PA SCDU and must be mailed to: PA SCDU P.O.Box 69110 Harrisburg, PA 17106-9110

To insure prompt and accurate processing, payments must include the defendant's / obligor’s PACSES Member Number (call DRS Customer Service if you need this information) or Social Security Number in order to be processed.

Please call DRS Customer Service at 717-299-8141 during business hours if you have any questions about how to make payments or need information on how to make cash payments.

Show All Answers

1. What is support?
2. How do I start a support action in DRS?
3. What do I bring with me when I want to open a support case?
4. What happens during a support conference?
5. What is a recommended order?
6. Can a support order be modified?
7. How are payments made under a support order?
8. What fees are charged?
9. What services are available to the plaintiff / obligee?
10. What services are available to the defendant / obligor?
11. What if the defendant / obligor does not live in Lancaster County?
12. How do I contact Lancaster County Domestic Relations?
13. Do you have interpreters available?
14. Can I participate in the conference / hearing by telephone?
15. How Do I get certification of overdue support obligations?
16. I receive support, how do I close my case?